CHATEAU OLIVIER IS CERTIFIED LEVEL 3 HIGH ENVIRONMENTAL VALUE AND ISO 14001 WITH THE ENVIRONEMENTAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM IN BORDEAUX.
The vines are protected using a combination of 70% organic products and biocontrol techniques, including:
- 0% carcinogenic, mutagenic or reprotoxic (CMR) products
- 0% endocrine disruptors
Specific treatments include:
- Kaolin, a type of clay which acts as a natural insect repellent against green leafhoppers.
- Mating disruption using pheromones to fight against grape berry moths.
- Preserving the natural habitat of bats since they are the best natural predator against grape berry moths.
- Limited mowing of surrounding meadows to promote the development of auxiliary fauna.
10% of plots, situated close to urban areas, are grown using 100% organic methods.
In the cellar, the total amount of sulphur used has been reduced by 50% over the past three years. Sulphur has disinfecting, antiseptic, and antibacterial properties which help to conserve the wines.